Making the Right Choice
Evidence-Based Selection Assessments help assess external or internal candidates for a specific position.
Our Evidence-Based Selection Assessments are most often requested when an organization needs objective, expert assistance to evaluate external and/or internal candidates for a specific position. Every Selection Assessment begins with an in-depth analysis of the unique needs to determine what are the unique requirements for success in this position. There are three phases to our process.
In the first phase, we will:
- Meet individually with the position holder’s primary constituents (including the immediate supervisor, peers, and direct reports) to identify the performance expectations, discuss the major challenges and opportunities, and to clarify the most appropriate leadership style.
- Invite the immediate supervisor and a sampling of the constituents interviewed to complete a brief (ten minute) behavioral profile to identify and quantify their perceptions of the behavioral requirements of the position. We will then score, compare and contrast these to ensure internal consistency among your expectations and will share the results with you in graphic form and writing. (You will find that these results can help you to avoid accidentally “setting people up” for conflicting expectations and possible failure in the position.)
- Share and review all of these performance expectations with the primary stakeholders to build internal consensus regarding the objective criteria against which the candidates will be compared. Then, we will develop a customized, structured interview and prepare a battery of assessment instruments for use with all candidates for the position.
You will find that by addressing all of these issues on the “front end,” we will be able to create a streamlined selection process and ensure that you make much more informed and accurate hiring decisions.
In the second phase, we will:
Personally conduct comprehensive, customized, structured interviews of each candidate and will administer a battery of leadership profiles to evaluate each person’s potential “fit” for the position. Then, we will identify the individual’s primary strengths and non-strengths as related to your needs (identified in the first phase).
In the third phase, we will:
Provide you with a written Confidential Executive Briefing and will review this with you to ensure your complete understanding and satisfaction with the results. This includes detailed information from our analysis regarding each candidate’s potential “fit” along with practical, individualized strategies that you can use to manage each person most effectively. Also provided in this summary are the results of the interviews, leadership profiles and a sampling of follow-up questions for your organization to ask of each candidate to help you form your own valid conclusions. You will get a realistic, balanced and unbiased view of the individual’s potential for success in that position.
Evidence-Based Selection Assessments Case Study
The President/CEO of a 2,000 employee service organization requested our help in identifying which of its external candidates were most appropriate for its vacant position of Chief Financial Officer. This organization was in a major transition and recognized that this was a critical decision for them (as their future financial stability depended upon making the “right” decision about their next CFO). They were extremely concerned about who they should hire after having been “burned” in the past by hiring someone who the organization’s leaders all agreed was “perfect” for their needs and who had all of the technical expertise they desired. They sought the independent counsel and objective expertise of an outside party who would help them to “hire with their heads” and not just on their gut reactions.
We identified that the finance department was in need of a major turnaround, as the receivables and payables were several months behind. The previous CFO had been terminated and they needed an experienced CFO who would:
- salvage those people, processes, and systems that should be kept,
- fix what could be fixed,
- replace everything else as cost effectively as possible within very short time frames,
- and accomplish these without disrupting what was working.
Then we interviewed their top two candidates, prepared an Executive Briefing summarizing our findings, and discussed the candidates’ relative qualifications with the President/CEO. We offered specific suggestions to the selection committee as to how they could learn more about each person’s appropriateness.
Both of the candidates initially appeared to be excellent choices for the position. However, upon delving deeply below the surface with each person, we determined that one was much better suited for their unique needs. More specifically, we found that the successful candidate:
- was better able to “see the big picture” while understanding and attending to critical details as needed,
- was more decisive and would make accurate decisions about who he should replace, retain, and promote, and
- would be more likely to establish clear priorities and implement corrective action plans.
The President/CEO shared that we provided them with a very efficient process to help them make an accurate and informed hiring decision. He praised the service we provided and shared with us that the processes used were invaluable, as these “forced them” to be much clearer initially about their needs and expectations for the new CFO. The process also helped reveal much more in-depth information about each candidate than they would have ascertained with their traditional hiring practices. This additional information enabled them to hire the right person who was able to achieve the financial performance expectations they had established.
Other Synergy Evidence-Based Executive Assessments
Ready to transform? Contact The Synergy Organization for a free consultation.